My husband and I don't have kids, but the older we get the more we realize that our family and friends are all parents. So I thought that I would put together a list of the more family friendly activities that our wonderful city offers.
- The Common is fun but only in the spring / summer. Swan boats, a fountain, tons of green space to run around and a pretty great playground. It's shitty for kids in the winter though.
- George's Island is a good affordable option as well. You get a beautifu view of the city on the ferry ride to/from and the island has a lot of space to run around, fire pits to cook some lunch and tons of cool forts to explore. Also there's a Summer Shack which is a nice plus for everybody.
- Gore Place in Waltham is only about a 15 min drive and it is a historic homestead that has children's activities like snowshoeing, sheep-shearing, and storytimes.
- The Boston Children's Museum is WELL worth the money. If you're on a tight budget go on a Friday and it's only $1.00 per person to get in.
- There's a kid-friendly restaurant in Cambridge called "[Full Moon]( http://www.fullmoonrestaurant.com)" - 1/2 the restaurant is a huge play room with a train table, kitchen, tons of dolls and trucks etc where the kids can run around / play while the parents relax and have a drink. The food is pretty great, it's not too expensive and its the only place like this in Boston.
- First Friday's in the city all the galleries open and at 450 Harrison Ave there are a ton. My little one has loved it since she could walk free and awesome. Added bonus: Thursdays are free at the ICA as well and they have arts & crafts days for kids.
- Near Haymarket / Faneuil Hall there is a nice playground with a big sandbox for the little ones as well. Within walking distance of this playground there is an outdoor merry-go-round which is cheap and fun. Again both these activities are spring/summer related.
- Faneuil Hall has patio seating and free entertainment, weather-permitting. Don't eat at Dick's Last Resort. We have always found them very unfriendly which is what their claim to infamy is to begin with. Only got there if it is your last resort.